It’s official- I am a mother-in-law.
My daughter married a boy who captured her heart on their first date. Their story has been tweaked over the years. But my favorite part is how Ashley canceled their first date multiple times because it was a busy audit season in the accounting world. She worked most weekends and evenings.
But on a powder day in Vail, she texted this boy and said she was free for coffee before noon. Daniel left at 5 a.m., leaving his college friends to meet a girl who happened to grow up 5 exits from him in a suburb of Columbus.
And when she finally told us there was a “boy in the picture” I thought she meant she had shared a rare social post and there was a boy in the photo.
We got to meet him on a spur-of-the-moment when friends canceled a Denver bar and bike tour. Last minute, my friends suggested we ask Ashley and this young man we nicknamed Dan 2.0 (because my brother did not like the nickname his nephews picked: old Dan and young Dan).
And we loved him and my girlfriends loved him. And Ashley loved him and now ..
I am a mother-in-law.
More details next week.
Thank you for your emails and text messages.
Thank you for reminding me that “no is a complete sentence.” I said no to many invites in the weeks leading up to this wedding. I wish I had said no to the tequila we had at the rehearsal dinner.
Please say prayers for this young man because he is my only son-in-law.
I do not have a playbook.
What would you have done differently, if anything, at your wedding? Asking for friends!
WATCHING + READING + LOVING
- I am listening to the book, White Tiger. It is so good. It is also on Netflix.
- Rewatching Suits- the chemistry of the cast shows in every episode. After binging the first four seasons I am asking my husband for documentation of to-do lists and if he can recount the details of his day in order.
- My sister loves these sandals. I do too. They are comfy and dressier than Birkenstocks.
- Here is Country Living’s best pumpkin recipes!
- My favorite fake pumpkins this season! They will get you to Thanksgiving! Please take a look at one of my favorite hutch makeovers below!
If you have a china hutch that is dated or just needs a refresh take a look at my before and after hutch.
FROM THE ARCHIVES
I shared a video on YouTube about this toilet paper roll hack!
I would love it if you subscribed to the Weekend Edit. You can sign up here for a Saturday morning easy-breezy newsletter. Thank you!