SIX INGREDIENT TOFFEE BARS
Hello, this is the season for toffee bars. I love bars because they are dense, easy to make and have a strong base. I have a toffee bar recipe that combines chocolate, brown sugar, butter vanilla, and toasted pecans.
When I find a new recipe I always glance at the ingredient list. I am not great in the kitchen, but what I lack in talent I make up for in personality!
What is not to love about a chocolate-based bar for the holidays? The ingredients tend to be easy (familiar) and these dessert bars are baked in a 10×15 size baking pan.
I found this in one of my favorite cookbooks. Elizabeth is a southern girl, but this Colorado girl loves toffee bars.
TOFFEE BAR RECIPES
- 2 STICKS OF BUTTER, SOFTENED
- 1CUP LIGHTLY BROWN SUGAR (PACKED)
- 1 TEASPOON VANILLA
- 1/4 TEASPOON MAPLE EXTRACT (OPTIONAL)
- 2 CUPS FLOUR
- 1/4 TEASPOON SALT
- 1 CUP SEMI-SWEET CHOCOLATE CHIPS
- 1 CUP COARSELY CHOPPED TOASTED PECANS (OR WALNUTS) I USED PECANS
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 325.
- BEAT THE BUTTER, BROWN SUGAR, VANILLA & OPTIONAL MAPLE EXTRACT IN A LARGE BOWL
- ADD FLOUR AND SALT, AND BEAT UNTIL COMBINED
- STIR IN CHOCOLATE CHIPS AND PECANS (OR WALNUTS)
- SPREAD IN AN UNGREASED 15X10-INCH BAKING PAN
- BAKE APPROXIMATE 20-25 MINUTES *** see note below
- COOL COMPLETELY, CUT INTO SQUARES
- STORE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER.
In full disclosure, I overbaked these bars. At twenty minutes they looked way underbaked so I added an extra four minutes to the approximate baking time. Twice.
By the time these toffee bars cooled, I realized they were done closer to 2o minutes.
I will remake these bars because what is not to love about brown sugar, butter and chocolate?
This is a reminder of why I love these no-bake bars this time of year too!
I would love it if you pinned this to your Pinterest boards before you leave!
Here is another bar recipe with creamy peanut butter.
You had me at 2 sticks of butter! These sound amazing! I hope you have a Merry Christmas Laura (and family!)