Does anyone watch Joy Bauer, a nutritionist & frequent contributor, on the Today Show? You know she never gives up trying to tweak recipes for her clients on their weight loss journeys. I love her enthusiasm. I mean she convinced me to make cauliflower pizza dough. At some point, I decided pizza is perfect should never be tweaked. But, Joy finds ways to make our favorite binge foods more healthy including a way to rethink french fries. I made these ovens baked Jicama fries because I thought there was no way to fake a french fry.
Before this recipe Jicama was never on my grocery list. But, I grabbed a Jicama at Sprouts and it sat on the kitchen counter for a day or three until I found the recipe on Joy’s site. I had all the spices and seasonings in my pantry. I cut the Jicama into chunky slices. It took a few slices to decide if these oven-baked fries were going to be McDonald size fries or Red Robin steak fries. I settled for a cut in between the two.
Oven Baked Jicama Fries Recipe
The recipe is very easy. It requires a bowl and a baking sheet along with the following seasonings.
- 1 JICAMA, SKIN REMOVED, CUT INTO FRIES (I LEFT THE SKIN ON A FEW)
- 1 TABLESPOON EVOO
- 1/2 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT & ADD TO TASTE
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS PAPRIKA, GARLIC POWDER & CHILI POWDER
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS ONION POWDER
- LIME JUICE, OPTIONAL (I MISSED THIS)
- ** ADJUST/EDIT SEASONINGS BASED ON PREFERENCE
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 425
- PEEL AND CHOP JICAMA INTO FRIES
- IN LARGE BOWL ADD EVOO, SPRINKLE WITH SALT
- SPREAD ON BAKING SHEET LINED WITH PARCHMENT PAPER IN A SINGLE LAYER
- SPRITZ OLIVE OIL SPRAY IF NEEDED ON JICAMA
- SPRINKLE PAPRIKA, GARLIC POWDER & OPTIONAL SEASONINGS
- BAKE IN OVEN ON TOP RACK FOR 20-25 MINUTES.
- IF DESIRED SQUEEZE LIME JUICE & SALT TO TASTE.
These oven-baked Jicama fries do not disappoint. It’s the seasonings that make these taste like the real thing which makes me start thinking about seasonings I could add to say.. frosting. You know to make Greek yogurt taste like frosting. It’s only a matter of time before Birds Eye starts selling frozen chopped Jicama. Maybe they already do sell frozen Jicama?
If you want to search all of Joy Bauer’s healthier option recipes, you can find them on her site.