Hi everyone! I don’t know what I love more the gooey goodness of these brownies or the name of the brownies. Either way, Mary’s Caramel Brownies are amazing! In fact, I had to make a second batch because the family ate these up before I could grab a blog-worthy photo.
The best part of these brownies is the flexibility with the add-ins that give you the gooey center. Mary’s Caramel brownies recipe called for wrapped caramels, but for the purpose of time, I substituted the caramels with caramel baking chips.
The base of Mary’s Caramel brownies was a German chocolate cake mix. Of course, I bought the wrong type of cake mix and the results still amazed the family.
I might make another two batches to compare a German chocolate cake mix and an all-purpose chocolate cake mix.
Mary’s Caramel Brownies Recipe
- 42 light caramels (substituted with caramel chips)
- 1 box German Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 can of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter/margarine (one stick)
- 1/2 bag of chocolate and/or butterscotch and/or peanut butter chips
- chopped nuts (optional)
- MICROWAVE CARAMELS (OR CARAMEL CHIPS) with 1/3 CUP EVAPORATED MILK.
- STIR FREQUENTLY
- COMBINE DRY CAKE MIX, BUTTER, 1/3 CUP EVAPORATED MILK (NUTS OPTIONAL).STIR.
- SPREAD 1/2 BATTER INTO LIGHTLY GREASED BAKING DISH.
- BAKE 6 MINUTES (YES ONLY 6 MINUTES)
- REMOVE BAKING DISH & SPRINKLE CHIPS OVER BAKED BATTER
- SPREAD/POUR MELTED CARAMEL MIXTURE OVER THE CHIPS & COVER WITH REMAINING BATTER.
- BAKE AT 350 FOR 16 MINUTES. DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- COOL & CUT
- DON’T REFRIGERATE