We are mixing it up for this month’s Pinterest Challenge. Cindy from County Road 407 chose a recipe theme with strawberries. I am excited to share my recipe for strawberry yogurt bars. But first…
Can we just take a moment to pause at this beautiful photo. I love this image from Lucy here. It says summer without words.
If you are stopping by from Niki’s blog The House on Silverado welcome to Everyday Edits. I am Laura and I am excited to share a yummy recipe for strawberry yogurt bars.
STRAWBERRY YOGURT BARS
Strawberries are in season and taste amazing. I grabbed containers of strawberries and started my search for an easy strawberry dessert. I landed on a Strawberry Greek yogurt dessert that sounded perfect for the hot days in July and August.
Don’t these strawberries look amazing! I use these ceramic crates to store fresh fruits and veggies.
STRAWBERRY GREEK YOGURT BARS
I went totally out of my comfort zone with these strawberry yogurt bars. In full disclosure, I do not love Greek yogurt. It is an acquired taste. But, I love to pair strawberries with the tangy so I thought, why not?
It is a challenge- like me following a recipe. I keep tabs on my recipes here.
Speaking of recipes the ingredient list is simple, but there are multiple steps to follow.
These dessert bars start with a graham cracker and butter crust. Seriously, I could eat the crust with a spoon.
Then there is the cheesecake base made with a combo of cream cheese Greek yogurt. And, you know what?
I liked it. It tasted lighter and my stomach was not rebelling against two blocks of cream cheese.
What tripped me up on this recipe is that from start to finish these bars were baked three times. Yep from the crust to the strawberry puree, I popped these bars in the oven three times. At times I thought I misread the recipe and screwed it up.
STRAWBERRY YOGURT BARS RECIPE
STRAWBERRY GREEK YOGURT DESSERT BARS
- 6 GRAHAM CRACKERS, CRUSHED OR 3/4-1 CUP GRAHAM CRACKER CRUMBS
- 3 TBSP MELTED BUTTER I USED 3-4 TBS BUTTER BECAUSE I WANTED DENSE BASE
CHEESECAKE BAR BASE
- 6 OZ CREAM CHEESE I USED THE ENTIRE BLOCK
- 1 CUP PLAIN OR GREEK YOGURT
- 1/3 CUP SUGAR
- 1 EGG
- 1 EGG WHITE
- 1 1/2 TSP. VANILLA
- 2 TBSP FLOUR
- 1 PINCH OF SALT
- 8 STRAWBERRIES HULLED
- 2 TBSP SUGAR OPTIONAL DEPENDING ON SWEETNESS OF STRAWBERRIES
- 1 CUP PLAIN YOGURT GREEK, PLAIN, NONFAT, ETC.
- 1/2 TSP VANILLA
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 350
- LINE AN 8X8 BAKING SHEET WITH PARCHMENT PAPER +SPRAY WITH COOKING SPRAY
- PROCESS GRAHAM CRACKERS WITH FOOD PROCESSOR IF USING WHOLE CRACKERS. ADD MELTED BUTTER. PROCESS AGAIN TO MIX.
- FOLD MIXTURE INTO BAKING DISH AND PRESS FIRMLY WITH HANDS OR SPATULA. BAK 5-7 MINUTES. REMOVE AND SET TO COOL
- CLEAN FOOD PROCESSOR AND ADD CREAM CHEESE, YOGURT, SUGAR, VANILLA, + SALT. PROCESS UNTIL SMOOTH. ADD EGG +EGG WHITE. ADD FLOUR AND PROCESS.
- POUR CHEESECAKE MIXTURE OVER THE COOLED CRUST + BAKE 25-30 MINUTES UNTIL SET IN MIDDLE (IT MIGHT JIGGLE A SMIDGE).
- REMOVE CHEESECAKE FROM THE OVEN+ POUR STRAWBERRY TOPPING OVER THE CHEESECAKE. IT SHOULD POOL OVER THE CHEESECAKE BASE. RETURN TO OVEN AND BAKE ABOUT 15-20 MINUTES.
- TRANSFER THE BAKING DISH TO WIRE RACK TO COOL. THEN PUT BARS IN FRIDGE TO CHILL +SET OVERNIGHT.
- CUT INTO 12 BARS (I CUT MINE IN HALF) AND ADD STRAWBERRY SLICE IF YOU LIKE.
- ** MY BASE LOOKED LIKE PEPTO BISMOL + I THINK IT'S BECAUSE I ADDED MORE STRAWBERRIES TO THE TOPPING.
Here is a fun twist on the graham cracker crust. Hint: it’s made with pretzels.
Thank you for stopping by Everyday Edits. I would love it if you pinned this dessert for future reference!
But before you go please check out Amber’s strawberry roses here.