I made three batches in 90 minutes using two recipes for these Peppermint Kiss Valentine Cookies. The first recipe for these Peppermint Kiss cookies was missing a few key ingredients. My sister found a second recipe that was close enough to the first recipe that we did not have to toss almost 4 cups of flour and cocoa.
With a rough start, I assumed the 2nd batch would go off the rails. And, if you are a not new to Everyday Edits you know have a troubled past with recipes.
The irony was that I found this Peppermint Kiss recipe because someone else missed a few details. No judgment; I get it. And, the best part of this recipe? ThesePeppermint Kiss Valentine cookies are uh-mazing!
And, they look so pretty friends and family will think you spent a lot of time in the kitchen.
This recipe calls for almost a cup of unsweetened cocoa. The Hershey White Chocolate Peppermint Kisses offer the perfect contrast to the dense, chocolate base.
The Peppermin Kisses can be difficult to find this time of year so you may have to get creative with the dozen of variations to the original Hershey Kisses. Maybe you could add peppermint M&M’??
RECIPE FOR PEPPERMINT KISS VALENTINE COOKIES
The recipe is below, but I would point out the one and only change I made to the instructions. Okay, maybe two changes but both were related to timing; baking and cooling.
And, it might be my new oven that appears to trend hotter than the dial states.
Oven update: After a charred turkey this past Thanksgiving and these burnt Grinch cookies we confirmed our oven trends 50 degrees hotter than the dial. A temperature guage panel will be here by next Christmas.
The recipe suggests the Hershey Kiss be added immediately after removing from the oven. However, my sister was in charge of the Hershey Kiss placement. She pointed out the Kisses were melting and sliding off the edge of the cookie.
For the second batch I :
- removed the cookies from the baking sheet
- transfered cookies to a cooling rack for a hot minute (1/2 a minute)
- followed by the addition of the Hershey Kiss
It’s all about the Kiss.
It was the perfect excuse to make a second batch for Valentine’s Day.
CHOCOLATE AND PEPPERMINT KISSES COOKIES
- 2 1/2 CUPS FLOUR
- 3/4 CUP UNSWEETENED COCOA
- 1 TSP. BAKING SODA
- 1/2 TSP. SALT
- 1 CUP WHITE SUGAR
- 1 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 1 CUP BUTTER
- 2 EGGS, ROOM TEMP
- 2 TSP. VANILLA
- 1 PACKAGE HERSEY'S WHITE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT KISSES
- 1/4 CUP ADDITIONAL WHITE SUGAR TO ROLL DOUGH BALLS
- 1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 3502. IN MEDIUM BOWL MIX DRY INGREDIENTS, SET ASIDE3. IN LARGE MIXER BEAT THE SUGARS & BUTTER UNTIL LIGHT & FLUFFY4. ADD EGGS. MIX WELL. ADD VANILLA5. SLOWLY ADD FLOUR MIXTURE & BLEND6. ROLL THE COOKIE DOUGH INTO 1" BALLS7. ROLL EACH COOKIE DOUGH BALL IN THE SUGAR.8. PLACE ON PARCHMENT PAPER.9. BAKE 8-10 MINUTES ** I REMOVED MINE AT 8 MINUTES 10. LET COOL FOR A MINUTE ( I PLAYED WITH THIS BECAUSE RIGHT OUT OF THE OVEN MY KISSES MELTED ONTO THE COOKIE). I REMOVED THE COOKIES FROM BAKING SHEET TO COOLING RACK AND THEN ADDED THE HERSHEY'S KISS. 11. THESE PACK AND FREEZE WELL. PERFECT FOR GIFT GIVING YEAR ROUND!
And, now I have a new favorite cookie for Christmas, Valentine’s Day and the 4th of July. I love a multi-purpose cookie recipe. Here is a care package treat using Hershey’s kisses.