I love sugar cookies. What I don’t love is the long-term commitment in the kitchen. These monster sugar cookie bars were the perfect way to make (and sample) sugar cookies without hauling out the cookie cutters. And, still, celebrate the Halloween season in the kitchen.
When I first saw these sugar cookie bars it was a baking epiphany. Before I found this version of a sugar cookie, it never occurred to me that I could make sugar cookies without cookie cutters.
Using a new sugar cookie recipe was a big deal; I had used this Cooking Light sugar cookie recipe for over a decade. But, this popular blogger changed everything for me.
Proving those of us over 40 can learn new baking skills.
NO COOKIE CUTTERS REQUIRED
The concept was simple and to the point. It required sugar cookie dough, pressed into a baking sheet. That’s it.
Instead of needing a cookie cutter, I used a knife to cut rectangular shapes (bars) and add frosting. The Frosting is my best baking friend (BFF) in the kitchen. You should have seen the back side of this cake.
IFrosting covers up the glitches. And, for these monster theme sugar cookie bars and the googly eyes created little monsters. Shades of purple and green frosting were a break from the pumpkin orange icing on all the sugar cookie pumpkins.
Monster Sugar Cookie Bars Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil (for thicker bars use a smaller baking sheet).
- In a large bowl: sift flour, baking powder & salt in a separate bowl
- Cream butter, and sugar for about 3 minutes. Add egg, sour cream and vanilla
- Slowly add the flour mixturePress the dough onto the baking sheet, and bake for about 14 minutes until edges are lightly golden
- FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Sprinkles etc.
Press the dough onto the baking sheet, and bake for 14-17 minutes until the edges are lightly golden.
Once cookie bars are cool you can go to town to decorate these cute Halloween monster cookies!
Once cookie bars are cool spread the frosting on the cookie.
Please pin for others to find!
Thank you for stopping by today! Before you go you may enjoy these Halloween Ideas
This DIY Pottery Barn Halloween Knockoff Pillow
This Halloween Chex Mix Recipe is a salty/sweet mix.