super fun craft idea to paint those miscellaneous glass plates, mason jars or glass accessories
This has been on my craft day wish list for a few years. The curiosity was driven by the fact I own about 60 appetizer size glass plates from a party we hosted once. Recently, I found those glass plates residing in the back of a cabinet. I was on a quest to figure out how to decorate glass plates. Ever since I learned you can do this with glass, I pretty much want to paint all my glass accessories.
HOW TO PAINT GLASS PLATES
The supply list is super short and the fun factor is endless. This project works with plates, mason jars or any glassware with a smooth finish. The options and ideas are endless.
There is a short video on my youtube channel or at the bottom of this post!
- set of acrylic paint pens like these (I found mine at Home Depot).
- glass plates, bowls, jars, drink glasses
- drop cloth or heavy craft paper
- oven + baking sheet
HOW TO DECORATE GLASS PLATES
This is so simple and every plate will be a custom piece. Keep reading for fun ideas for this craft. But, first…
Tip: Do not pre-heat the oven.
- Start with clean, dry glassware.
- Cover surface because oil-based markers will leave a mark.
- Decorate the plate. I painted on the backside of the plate because it was just hearts.
- Place finished glassware on a baking sheet.
- Let plates sit on a baking sheet for 20 minutes to “set.
- Place baking sheet in the oven and turn the oven to 350 degrees
- “Bake” for 30 minutes
- Do as I say not as I did. Cover the surface when using oil-based Sharpies. I painted my plate with my tablet nearby. I may have been on a Zoom call. #wink The Sharpie pen made the perfect pink dot on the letter “D” on my tablet.
- Don’t overthink the design. This is supposed to a fun, relaxing craft.
PIN FOR BOREDOM BUSTERS FOR ALL AGES +
This would be a fun idea for the kids or the grandkids. My sister suggested a girls’ social distance gathering!
Or, pin this for family activities over the holidays. I have enough glass plates they could each create a set of four decorative plates. #wink.
Oh and before you go… here is short video with me explaining this craft.