The laundry room is typically the smallest space in the house but it is used just about every day of the year. Maybe it can switch spaces with the dining room.
If you live in an apartment or condo chances are your laundry room is the same size as the bathroom behind Row 34 on a Southwest flight.
If you live in a home built before 1974 your laundry room is accessed down a flight of steep stairs complete with a drain in the concrete floor.
So how do you find space when your laundry room is smaller than an airport restroom stall?
Sidenote: Seriously, who needs to use the lock when your carry-on is wedged against the door and your knees?
HOW TO MAXIMIZE LAUNDRY ROOM SQUARE FOOTAGE
This is my go-to suggestion when trying to find, create or reimagine a space.
Go into your landry room today. Look up and down and all around like the hokey pokey except take notes on potential space opportunities (space opps).
THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Do you have wall space?
- Do you have a door to the laundry room?
- What level is your laundry room located in your home, condo or rental?
- Basements give you more “open space. whereas laundry rooms located off the garage usually act as a pass-through to the house with a trail of puffy jackets and one random sock that belongs to no one.
LAUNDRY ROOM IDEAS
Big box stores like Ikea and Home Depot sell upper and lower cabinets.
If store-bought cabinets are not in the budget check:
Facebook Marketplace for inexpensive or free cabinets that might just need a coat of paint.
If you see a dumpster in a neighbor’s yard ask about theIR pending project. We gave our dated, builder-basic basement cabinets to our tile guy and saved the dumpster fee. It was a win-win.
If you are looking at your laundry room right now and you see drywall- that is valuable real estate.
Find a prefinished wood at Home Depot (their lumber department will cut it to size fo you). Add hooks, vertically or horizontally) to give you place to dry clothes or hang jackets.
4. Open shelving works well with brackets and wood from Home Depot.
5. Repurpose a dresser drawer for added storage. A dresser drawer with shelves is another option if you do not want the expense of upper or lower cabinets.
6. Measure any blank space so you have the dimensions when you find a storage solution that might work!
7. Think beyond cabinets. Instead, a small console table may fit the space for laundry or crafts.
8. Think outside the box. I repurposed this potting bench into a laundry table. The matching like new laundry bins were a Goodwill find last spring.
Target, Home Depot, Container Store and Amazon all have options to fit your budgets for storage.
SHOP MY STAPLES
Thank you for stopping by today! I would love it if you signed up for the Weekend Edit- an easy breezy four-minute read on a Saturday morning!
Here are some of my favorite projects in the laundry room including how I hid this demo from my husband
How to Paint Cabinet Pulls in Minutes
Hover over the top left corner to pin for therss to find!