I had no idea that chex mix could be a combo of salty and sweet. I grew up with the classic Chex Mix with pretzels, cocktail peanuts, the Kroger branded rice and corn cereal, and Wheat Chex® cereal (because the wheat version did not come in the Kroger brand).
My mom loves salt and seasonings so our homemade Chex Mix included generous amounts o f Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
So when I discovered there was a whole world of Chex Mix combos that included chocolate, pumpkin spice seasoning, candy corn and M&M’s it was like discovering Netflix for the first time in the mail.
And just like Netflix, I binged my way through the weekend with a bowl of Harvest Chex Mix filled with candy corn, Bugles and chocolate M&M’s.
This recipe is the perfect combo of sweet and salty and then add the pumpkin spice! Who knew?
Who remembers Bugles?
This fall Chex mix includes Bugles for that distinct crunchy cor. The Bugles are nestled between pretzels and peanuts coated with brown sugar and pumpkin spice-flavored melted butter goodness.
Tip: I will save you four minutes searching for the Bugles.
The retro-salty snack is in the chip aisle. They are next to or near the Pringles. Look up. I found mine on the top shelf. I briefly considered climbing the shelf but decided if the shelf fell over with me at the bottom of the heap the bugles would be crushed.
FALL HARVEST CHEX MIX RECIPE
- 4 CUPS CHEX RICE CEREAL OR GENERIC
- 3 CUPS MINI PRETZELS MINI PRETZEL STICKS WOULD WORK
- 3 CUPS BUGELS NEAR THE PRINGLES
- 1 CUP DRY ROASTED PEANUTS
- 1/2 CUP M&M CANDIES
- 1 CUP HARVEST MIX CANDY CORN
PUMPKIN SPICE COATING
- 1/2 CUP BUTTER
- 1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 2 TSP. VANILLA
- 3 TBSP. PUMPKIN SPICE
- 1. PREHEAT OVEN TO 275. PREPARE WITH A BAKING SHEET FOR EASY CLEANUP. TRUST ME
- 2. IN A LARGE MIXING BOWL COMBINE THE CEREAL, PRETZELS, BUGLES & PEANUTS
- 3. IN A GLASS BOWL, MICROWAVE BUTTER AND BROWN SUGAR FOR 1 MINUTE (ISH).
- 4. REMOVE FROM MICROWAVE, STIR IN VANILLA & PUMPKIN SPICE
- 5. POUR PUMPKIN SPICE MIX OVER THE CEREAL MIX AND STIR TO COAT
- 6. POUR ONTO THE PREPARED BAKING SHEET & BAKE FOR 30 MINUTES, STIRRING AFTER 15 MINUTES (IT’S MORE LIKE A GENTLE FOLD BECAUSE THE PAN IS FULL).
- 7. REMOVE FROM OVEN AND COOL COMPLETELY. TRUST ME.
- 8. TOSS THE M&M’S AND HARVEST MIX CANDY CORN
The most difficult part of this recipe is waiting for the cereal, pretzels, peanuts and Bugles to cool.
This next step is where the magic happens. Once cooled you toss in the M&M’s and Harvest candy corn mix.
Tip: The seasonal M&M’s sold out quickly at our Kroger.
I missed out on the fall theme M&M’s and ended up sorting the browns and oranges for my version of the Harvest M&M mix.
It was a tedious task, but someone had to do it.
I usually double this recipe and ship it to my college-age boys. Thank you for stopping by today! I would love for you to pin this image for reference!
Speaking of doubling the recipe! I love these ceramic ramekins to keep my portions in check.
I love these ramekins.
Thank you for stopping by today. If this recipe makes you thirsty here is a fun fall refresher.